Click here to read up-to-date information on how the COVID-19 pandemic may impact your move.

Job Seeker Government Relocation Funding

Find out if you could be eligible for the different state and federal relocation grant assistance now with latest updates for Job Seekers, Agricultural, Regional Jobs, Temporary Visa Workers, NDIS request and emergency relocation assistance.

Job Seeker Government Relocation Funding

With the pandemic shaking up the job force with uncalculatable consequences, the mission to match job seekers to job vacancies, has incentivised the Governments of Australia to create programs to entice people to move out of their comfort zone to get work. There is immediate cash assistance designed to help people relocate to a new destination if there is a job that they are planning on starting – short-term or long-term, there are dollars available via government departments that will help you with the cost of moving your life in order to begin employment.

You can request any removal service to help you move! Muval can help you with a range of quotes for official purposes to help formalise your request for Government Assistance.

What relocation assistance is available for Job Seekers (Federal Government Incentives)

As of May 2021:

All job seekers participating in employment service programs may be immediately eligible for the Relocation Assistance to Take Up a Job program.

If you relocate to take up ongoing work, including an apprenticeship, for more than 20 hours a week for more than six months, you may be eligible to receive up to: 

  • $3,000 if you relocate to a capital city*

  • $6,000 if you relocate to a regional area

  • An extra $3,000 if you relocate with a dependent.

  • Employment services providers can use up to $2,000 to provide upfront support to job seekers who need assistance with agreed relocation costs.

If you relocate to take up short-term harvest work in a harvest, regional or remote area, the Australian Government's AgMove will help pay your relocation costs:

Up to $6000 for Australians

From 5 May 2021

  • You’ll have your relocation costs covered up to $2000 after completing 40 hours of work in at least two weeks.
  • You’ll receive up to a further $4000 of relocation costs after completing 120 hours of work in at least four weeks.

Up to $2000 for temporary visa holders with general working rights like working holiday makers and some international students.

  • With up to $650 for relocation costs after completing 40 hours of work in at least two weeks.
  • Up to a further $1350 for relocation costs after completing 120 hours of work in at least four weeks.

You can get relocation assistance if you move to take up any ongoing work including an apprenticeship, or if you move to a harvest or regional area to take up short-term agricultural work. If your new job is in the agricultural sector, it must be at least six weeks (and at least 120 hours). Otherwise, your new job must be for more than 30 hours a week and ongoing for six months.

How can I access Relocation Assistance?

To see if you are eligible for RATTUAJ or AGMove Services talk to your Jobactive, Disability Employment Services, ParentsNext, Transition to Work, or Community Development Program provider.  

Am I Elgible for Job Seeker Relocation Grants Assistance?

After confirming with the Australian Government Job Active Employment Website, you will need to be placed through of the many Job Seeker employment services with pre-approval from Centre Link (provided by your employment service provider) for the grant payment based on your circumstances.

  • Find approved Employment Service Providers here
  • View the detailed documentation here
  • You can request any Removalist service to help move
  • Muval can provide you with a range of quotes for official purposes to help formalize your request for Government Assistance.

What Costs are Covered for the Government Relocation Support?

A detailed list of approved items is included below as a guide. This is not an exhaustive list. Providers should contact their Employment Service Account or Contract Manager to seek clarification on additional approved items or to seek assistance.
Muval can help organise quotes and manage your move at no extra costs for our serivce for a number of these services below:



  • Non-rent accommodation at new location—two weeks*
  • Rent at new location—up to two months

Disturbance costs

  • Gardening fees*
  • Cleaning fees*
  • Pet boarding fees—up to one month*
  • First groceries to set up house
  • Utility connection and exit costs
  • Relocation-associated legal costs
  • Associated medical costs
  • School uniforms
  • School enrolment fees
  • Reasonable breaking lease costs
  • Vehicle registration transfer fees
  • Licence transfer fees


  • Tools (up to $500)
  • Safety clothing
  • Uniforms
  • Boots

Rental Bond

  • Must not exceed the state/territory bond payment—for example, some states only allow a bond payment to reflect the first four weeks of rent as the bond payment


  • Plane, train or ship tickets and fees*
  • Car hire and car hire insurance*
  • Pet transport*
  • Baggage allowances
  • Fuel
  • Incidentals during travel, for example, food and drinks
  • In-transit accommodation costs.

* Note, quotes are required before purchasing these services

State Government Relocation Support

Queensland’s The Work In Paradise Program

Starts July 1st, 2021 (Expressions Of Interest Open Now)

This is a short run incentive, but what an incentive! If you ever thought that Queensland could be the place for you, thinking beyond the Great South East corner, there is a reason Queensland is touted as Australia’s paradise. Due to a huge upturn in domestic tourism, many of the most popular tourist destinations are in dire need of hospitality staff and – tour guides!

Assistance available: The Queensland Government will pay you $1500 and throw in a $250 travel bonus for you to move to one of the approved locations to undertake certain roles in the tourism and hospitality sector. Yep! You read that right, they will pay for you to go on a working holiday if you are willing to help out.

Where? You can literally work in some of the most amazing places on the planet! Tropical North Queensland (Cairns and the Great Barrier Reef), The Whitsundays (island life and gateway to the Pacific), Mackay Region (central Queensland coast), and Outback Queensland (the western frontier) are seeking new faces to help with the booming tourism demand.

What jobs? Unlike many of the other relocation incentive schemes we are highlighting here, this one has a focus on bringing people of a very specific, yet broad, skillset to the regions. If you have traditionally worked in, or just been drawn to, any of the careers that the tourism and hospitality industry offers – this could be a great way to get a new job, but also getaway from the hustle and bustle for a while! Bar staff, cooks, chefs, kitchenhands, wait staff and even tour guides are some of the roles they need to fill. Check out the regional links above to see what jobs are on offer in the regions right now.

You don’t need to wait for the program to officially launch if you want to take advantage of the scheme, you can start looking for the job now and register your expression of interest here < scroll to the bottom of the page.

State Based Relocation Assistance for Regional and Agricultural Jobs

If you are more inclined to consider helping out the farmers of our incredible country, there are quite a few state incentives.

Depending on your circumstances you may also be able to combine these incentives with other available schemes to maximise your moving assistance. Of course, you will need to engage with each provider to determine your eligibility, and some schemes are only open to Job Seekers who are registered with a Job Service Provider (like the Federal Relocation Assistance to Take Up A Job scheme).

Queensland Regional Assistance

The Back To Work in Agriculture Incentive Scheme
Applications Close once funding has been allocated or before 30 June 2021

Assistance available: Payments of up to $1500 from the Queensland Government to help with the costs of accommodation and transport associated with travelling to, and staying in, a remote location.

Requirements: You need to have secured employment with an eligible employer on a farm (or farms) full-time for 2 weeks for the first instalment with the subsequent instalment paid when you have completed 6 weeks on the job. You must also already be a Queensland resident.

The criteria you need to meet are here

You can read more here

You can apply here

New South Wales Regional Relocation Grants

Regional Skills Relocation Grant

Assistance available: If you have a particular skill or trade that fills a gap in a regional area of New South Wales, you may be able to find work with an approved employer who is eligible to apply for a state government grant of up to $10,000 to help you move to the area to work in a job at that business.

Requirements: Grants are available for businesses in regional New South Wales operating in approved industries to assist in attracting desirable labour by paying for their relocation. The employee must be moving from a metropolitan area to a regional one, with at least 50kms minimum distance from the original residence. The grants are for Australian citizens and permanent residents.

The occupation must feature on the Commonwealth Skilled Occupation List for the Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) visa – subclass 491:

You can read more here

Victoria regional job assistance

The Seasonal Harvest Sign-on Bonus (since 17 February 2021)

Assistance available: The Victorian Government offer the Seasonal Harvest Sign-on bonus as an extra for job seekers who accept harvest employment on a Victorian farm this season. For 8 weeks of eligible work 2 payments totalling $2430 are available. It is flexible so you can still be eligible if you move between harvest jobs.

Requirements: The harvest job must have started on or after 17 February 2021 and the participant must be 18 years or older with working rights in Australia (and not already be employed under the Pacific Labour Scheme or Seasonal Worker Program). You must also provide evidence of your employment to prove you have met the working requirements. This scheme has a focus on job seekers who are new to agriculture so if you have previously worked in this sector in Victoria in the three months prior to the 17 February you will not be eligible.

You can apply after completing the first 10 days of work

You can read more here

Western Australia Primary Industry Relocation Support

Primary Industries Workers Regional Travel and Accommodation Support Scheme (since 9 September 2020)

Assistance available: This is a targeted assistance scheme from the Western Australian Government to provide travel and accommodation support to workers who relocate to undertake work in the Primary Industries of farming, fisheries and food processing in regional areas that are experiencing labour shortages.  Amounts of assistance can vary depending on the region where you take up employment but generally you may be provided with a fortnightly accommodation allowance as well as a one-off travel allowance.

Requirements: You need to have working rights in Australia and need to move more than 100km for work in regional WA. The role you take on needs to be in an eligible agriculture, fisheries or food processing job for a primary producer, a labour hire or contracting business – and been employed for at least 2 consecutive weeks by that employer.

You need to meet all other eligibility guidelines, find them here

You can read more here

Apprentices & Students Job Relocation Assistance Programs

Here are a few relocation schemes available if you are opting to take up an apprenticeship where you need relocation assistance or if you need to move to study.


See: The Relocation To Take Up A Job (RATTUAJ) Scheme (from 1 May 2021)

New South Wales also offer an incentive for apprentices who want to relocate for work, more information about the Travel, Accommodation and Relocation Assistance Package can be found here


If you get ABSTUDY or Youth Allowance, you may be eligible for a Relocation Scholarship from the Australian Government if you need to move to or from a regional or remote area to study higher education. It must be a full time approved scholarship and is dependent on your personal circumstances.

Read more here

Where are the Jobs Currently Available in Australia?

The latest information from the Regional Australia Institute shows a map of where jobs have been advertised by region. This allows you to roll over the key regions of interest and then find out the types of jobs advertised before you consider going back to your employment service provider or via seek.

(Source: Regional Australia Institute)

Current Numbers of JObs Available / Advertised in Capital Cities (May 2021)

  • Sydney Jobs 51,876
  • Melbourne Jobs 49,296
  • Brisbane Jobs 24,000
  • Adelaide Jobs 10,058
  • Perth Jobs 18,957
  • Canberra Jobs 7,073
  • Hobart Jobs 1,450
  • Northern Territory Jobs 1,742

Popular Regional Areas Where Jobs are Available / Advertised:

  • Far North Queensland Jobs (Townsville / Cairns) 5,140
  • Gold Coast Jobs Jobs 5,206
  • Northern NSW Jobs 3,701
  • Central QLD Jobs (Rockhampton / Bundaberg) 2,933
  • Sunshine Coast Jobs 2,725
  • Pilbara & Kimberly Jobs 1,809
  • Bendigo & High Country Jobs 2,047
  • Toowoomba & South West QLD Jobs 1,906
  • Dubbo & Western NSW Jobs 1,603

Get Quotes to Move to Regional Areas in Australia:

Depending on how much you want to spend and how flexible you can be, your costs for moving from certain capital cities can vary widely. The further inland you go – you will typically find it may take more time for Removalists to match up their other jobs with yours to make it cost effective.

Muval has coverage across Australia for the top ranked Removalists who can do moves of all types. Your best option is to request a quote online or call us on 1300 168 825.

Other Relocation Support:

NDIS Relocation / Moving House Assistance Information

Muval is able to provide quotes for any NDIS relocation either for self funded or managed NDIS clients. Please contact Muval on 1300 168 825 or simply request a quote online.

Share this page on Facebook

Find available space

Muval connects you instantly with available removalists to transport your items locally or interstate. Get started below:

10,000+ customers
4.8 rating
No booking fee