Can You Move House During Coronavirus (COVID-19)?
COVID-19 has brought a lot of uncertainty to our day-to-day lives, let alone when you're moving house. In this article we answer the question "Can I still move during Coronavirus"? and offer some practical tips for safety and hygiene.
Spoilers: the answer is YES.
Is moving still permitted under Coronavirus lockdown?
Many businesses have been asked to close temporarily while Coronavirus lockdowns in place. These restrictions apply to businesses that increase the rate of transmission of the SARS-CoV-2 virus such as bars, cafe's, restaurants, etc. However, there are a number of businesses that are still permitted to operate as they are considered "essentialy services". These business include: grocery shops, as well as service-based businesses like builders, tradespeople, and removalists. Hiring removalists and moving house has been specifically noted by a number of government agencies as being a legitimate reason to leave your house during Coronavirus restrictions.
While these exemptions from lockdown measures do permit you to move, we advise that, if at all possible, you should delay your move until Coronavirus is no longer a threat to our community.
Can I still move interstate?
There are a number of different government agencies implementing different containment measures to control the spread of the Coronavirus. State governments have enacted strict border security measures which do have an impact on hiring interstate removalists to move interstate. We have a regularly updated article on these border protection measures that you can find here. The short of it, though, is that you can still move interstate and removalist trucks are allowed to cross state borders. However, you will need to undergo a 2-week quarantine when entering your new home state. Therefore, when booking a removal company, you should request that they can delay delivery by 2 weeks until your quarantine period is over.
What precautions can I take to move house safely during Coronavirus?
Great question. We are in regular discussion with our removalist partners to ensure strict hygeine and personal health measures are in place at all times.
- Removalists should have hand sanitiser in the truck at all times and use it frequently.
- The England Journal of Medicine published a study that identified that Coronavirus can live on cardboard for up to 24 hours. Items should be removed from cardboard boxes and the boxes removed from the home as quickly as possible. Try to avoid touching your face while unpacking boxes, and thoroughly wash your hands between boxes.
- Customers are advised not to assist with the move. Please remain at least 2 meters away from the removalists at all times. Ideally, spend time at your other residence (either where you are moving to or from, depending on whether the removalists are loading or unloading).
- Removalists should call a day before uplift to confirm that you are not feeling unwell with flu-like symptoms. If you are feeling unwell, you should notify the removal company as soon as possible to reschedule.
- Removalists who are feeling unwell are not able to work and should self-isolate.
- Removalists should complete the Federal Government's infection control training
- Book a qualified removal company. This is not the time to take risks with gig-economy workers in your home.
We recently received the following feedback from a customer after a move:
"Just wanted to say thank you for an excellent job by your guys moving me this morning. They turned up on time, and were polite and friendly. They were respectful of social distancing during this difficult time. Also respectful of my property and belongings. They moved quickly and consistently, with the result that the whole move was done within three hours and didn't go overtime. Very happy with the result. Would definitely use you again for a similar job, and would recommend you to anyone who asks for a good, reliable mover."
Find available space
Muval connects you instantly with available removalists to transport your items locally or interstate. Fill out the search fields below to find space that suits you.