We are working with our many moving partners across Australia to take each move / quote request case by case to give certainty as required. Please call us if you have any questions, otherwise you are able to book online as usual. Please check our disclaimer at the bottom of this page as this info is only a summary and may not be up to date. Your chosen removalist can work with you to confirm any final pick up / delivery times pending which state or location you are moving to. If you do not NEED to move, we recommend postponing to restrict any potential spread of the virus, but, if you need to move - we hope this summary of information is helpful for your next move either DIY or through the Muval booking platform.
Are Removalists Essential Services?
Although there have been recent changes to border controls, Removalists are considered an 'essential service' under freight & logistics definitions by each State Government and are able to move your goods.
Currently, yes (Most state require case by case exemption to be approved. View the state by state breakdown below and links to exemption / border pass application websites)
Currently, Removalists as an essential logistics service are able to move your goods either locally or interstate in Australia. If you are moving to WA, please review the latest info & links in the state by state breakdown below. We strongly promote through our partners safe moving practices with increased hygiene and social distancing wherever possible. We also ask that if you have, are showing symptoms of, or have been in contact with anyone with COVID-19 that you let the Removalist know in advance so they can best support your move / move timing safely after any relevant quarantine measures.
Can you still move house during stage 4 lockdown restrictions in Melbourne / Victoria?
Currently, yes - see Stay At Home Directions notice below
The latest information as per the Victorian Government Health Directions as of 2nd of August at 8pm is showing a number of exemptions in section 10 allowing people to move to their new permanent residence locally, interstate or internationally where their current residence is no longer available locally (ie - due to sale or lease end etc) and where relevant have the approved border passes to do so. Please review the stay at home health directions information on the VIC GOV Website in detail as there are a number of considerations to ensure you would be exempted and are following government rules for your specific situation. We will be working with our current Melbourne / Victorian removalists partners to ensure they have appropriate COVID Safe Plans inline with Government requirements for their work environments. Please see more details below in our state by state breakdown.
Can I Move House Interstate During QLD, VIC & NSW Border Restrictions & Lockdowns?
Currently, yes with proof of residence, approved exemption & approved border passes.
Some Australian State Governments have begun to restrict entry for certain states or are mandating differing levels of quarantine / self isolation. Most states have a border pass system that will determine whether you will be allowed to travel to that location. See below for state by state breakdown.
We are working with Removalists on the Muval platform to ensure as much flexibility as possible to help book knowing that if sudden changes happen there will be options for postponing moves or refunding or crediting deposits where possible. Many of our Removalist partners have a high level of capacity to ensure move dates being rescheduled cause minimal disruption, or otherwise these can be easily transferred to other movers on our platform without needing to take down all of your details again.
Interstate car transport or pet transport during COVID restrictions when moving into QLD or NSW?
You will need to organise car transport and or pet transport due to QLD & NSW restrictions for hotspot areas requiring entry via air only.
If you are moving to QLD or NSW from any hot spot you will need to arrive by air as per current state by state restrictions highlighted below. We have seen customers previously drive themselves and or their pets when moving interstate - so - this will most likely not be an option. For moving cars, there is typically a delay between pick up and delivery of 10 days with options for holding cars for another 3 - 4 days to align with minimum quarantine timings. For transporting pets, we recommend using a service that has comfortable pet accommodation at either end of the trip included as part of the pet transport costs. Muval can help organise quotes for your car and pet transport through trusted suppliers o align with your approved move as needed. Enter your move details online or call 1300 168 825 for more details.
Key Information for Moving House During Coronavirus:
We have compiled the information from a range of publically available government websites, and from individual confirmation on certain understandings directly from some government agencies.
Please note: Many interstate moves booked on Muval are done via rail, which means local Removalist branches are handling your goods without the need to utilise interstate drivers. Our team will look for these options for you if required. Some rail pick up and delivery times are being delayed by a few days due to recent increased demand, we are also seeing increased traffic at Border control areas. So, please, book in as early as possible to get your preferred dates & note your Removalist may experience unforseen traffic delays out of their direct control.
COVID-19 Essential Removalist Services - State-by-state Overview
MOVING TO NEW SOUTH WALES / FIND SYDNEY REMOVALISTS (confirmed by NSW Gov 8th July):
- No current interstate border entry self isolation restrictions in place unless from Victoria.
- Update: NSW Government states NSW residents coming from Victoria must now go into mandatory isolation in selected hotels for 14 days at their own expense as of 12.01am Friday 7th July.
- Costs are $3,000 per adult + $1,000 per extra adult + children under 18 are $500 per child and are free if 2 years or under.
- NSW Residents will only be allowed to enter via the Sydney Domestic airport unless living in specific border communities.
- Muval can help you with your car transport & pet transport as part of this restriction.
- You can still transit through VIC from SA and directly through NSW to QLD as long as the end destination is one that you have approval to go to
- NSW COVID hotline highlighting that a "border pass approval" system is now available and you must obtain a border pass to come into NSW.
- If moving interstate as a new NSW resident - you may need to include proof of your residency to obtain a border pass.
- Special conditions will be allowed for freight services / crititcal requirements.
- Provisions will be made for border regions such as Albury / Wodonga.
- It is recommended that your carry your NSW proof of residence if moving from any location.
- Removalists are able to deliver your goods interstate & locally
- Local moves must abide by State social distancing / Public Health Order stage 3 lockdown rules during move
- Please review what you can & can't do in relation to NSW COVID rules for your house move
- View NSW Gov Website information here
MOVING TO VICTORIA / INFO ABOUT LOCAL OR OUTBOUND MELBOURNE REMOVALISTS (confirmed by VIC Gov 2 August 11pm):
- No current interstate border entry self isolation restrictions in place when travelling to Victoria.
- Removalists ARE able to deliver your goods interstate & locally as an essential service
- Local moves abide by State social distancing / Public Health Order stage 3 or 4 lockdown rules during move
- If in stage 3 or 4 lockdown areas there are clear rules and procedures as part of stay at home directions from the Victorian Government
- You'll find in the Victorian Government Stay at Home Directions Document - There are also a number of exemptions in SECTION 10 that highlight YOU ARE ALLOWED TO MOVE HOUSE locally, interstate or internationally from restricted areas where your principle place of residence is changing due to lease ending or house sale etc.
- It is recommended to carry your new home proof of residence documentation with you if moving house
- It is also recommended to carefully read and abide by all relevant stay at home directions as some circumstances where you may be moving between two residences that you already own may not be permitted amongst other ever changing restrictions.
- If you are moving interstate - you'll find the relevant border passes / exemption requests that are required in the relevant state by state information here if available.
- View VIC Gov Website information here
MOVING TO QUEENSLAND / FIND BRISBANE REMOVALISTS (updated & confirmed on QLD Gov 7th August):
- Moving to QLD as a new or existing QLD resident is currently allowed.
- QLD gov border restrictions pages are being updated regularly and currently shows, that for border passes to be approved if moving from a designated COVID Hot Spot (there are some relaxed restrictions if moving from Northern NSW areas) to QLD you must have proof of a permanent residency either as a returning or new QLD resident.
- The excerpt (as at 24th September) from Border Restrictions Direction #14/15 shows: "A person who has been in a COVID-19 hotspot in the 14 days prior to entering Queensland must not enter Queensland unless - the person is a Queensland resident, the person is moving to Queensland as a new resident or the person is a border zone resident who is a Queensland resident.
- If you are have been approved for entry via the border pass system and have come from a designated hotspot - you will be required to spend 14 days under Government mandated 14 days quarantine at your own costs.
- ADDITIONAL IMPORTANT ACCESS INFORMATION AS OF 8th AUGUST: As an existing or new resident (if moving from a COVID Hot Spot Area) you must only enter QLD by air as per the latest border restriction directions.
- Muval can help you with both car and pet transport now that driving is not an available method for entering the state
- As of Noon 10th July - Anyone who HASN'T visited a designated COVID Hot Spot in the last 14 days may enter QLD without the need for 14 days quarantine pending valid border pass / border review.
- Queensland Online Border Passes are required for people arriving into the state regardless and are only valid for 7 days, so you will need to time this with your move if approved.
- If you have an official lease or residency document for your new QLD residence, it's advised to take with you to help speed up Border control.
- If your border pass is rejected - QLD Health Hotline Officials noted, there is a system where pending your circumstances and certain compassionate or essential worker grounds - you MAY be approved for an exemption if coming directly from a hotspot and haven't been able to spend more than 14 days outside of that hotspot before being approved to move across the border. Please click here to use the exemption request portal service.
- Removalists ARE exempt from requiring 14 days self isolation and are able to move your goods interstate to your new home under the QLD Government definition of essential Freight & Logistics services.
- Other options available are local branch pick up from your home then onto interstate rail and then local branch drop off to your new home in Queensland (without need for Interstate truck drivers). Call us for details regarding this option.
- Local moves abide by State social distancing rules during move
- For customers who are required to go to hotel quarantine, we can work with you to find the best suited Removalist to find best timing to pick up / deliver your items noting the 14 day hotel quarantine delay.
- The roadmap highlights more detail about border restrictions
- View QLD Gov Website information here
MOVING TO SOUTH AUSTRALIA / FIND ADELAIDE REMOVALISTS (confirmed by SA Gov 24 Jul 12.04pm):
- All people wishing to enter SA now need to fill in a SA border pass prior to arrival (best option is to do 14 days in advance)
- If moving to SA from Victoria or hot spot as directed by SA government - you will also need to undergo a compulsory COVID-19 test
- 14 day self isolation effective immediately upon entry and to be enforced by Border Control from 4pm Tuesday 24th March UNLESS arriving directly from selected NSW, NT, WA, TAS or QLD.
- From 12:01am Wednesday 29 July 2020, SA Gov website now showing - South Australian residents will no longer be able to return or potentially move to South Australia from Victoria. Only essential travellers will be able to enter South Australia from Victoria. Best option if needing to move is request exemption via the border pass / exemption links above.
- Removalists ARE exempt from requiring 14 days self isolation and are able to move your goods interstate to your new home under the SA Government definition of essential Freight & Logistics services.
- Other options available are local branch pick up from your home then onto interstate rail and then local branch drop off to your new home in South Australia (without need for Interstate truck drivers). Call us for details regarding this option.
- Local moves abide by State social distancing rules during move
- View SA gov general information here
MOVING TO WESTERN AUSTRALIA / FIND PERTH REMOVALISTS: (confirmed on WA Gov 3 Apr 3.23pm)
- WA have announced temporary closure of border from 11.59pm Sunday 5th April (re-open date TBA)
- Some exemptions do apply however, moving house INTERSTATE to WA is NOT currently on the exemption reasons list, but, is able to be requested case by case (confirmed by WA COVID HOTLINE 3 APRIL 3.23pm)
- An exemption request can take up to 48 hours to be processed without guarantee of approval.
- We suggest early request of exemption if required before booking move and / or ensuring someone else in WA can receive your goods to your new home.
- WA Roadmap is otherwise showing review of relaxed interstate travel / moving due to be reviewed by late June.
- Currently - 14 day self isolation upon entry to be enforced from 1.30pm Tuesday 24th March.
- If approved to move to WA from Victoria - new rules are stating that you will be compelled to do a COVID-19 test on day 11 of your 14 days self quarantine.
- Western Australia Arrival Forms are required for people arriving into the state.
- Removalists, regardless of exemption of person moving, ARE exempt from requiring 14 days self isolation and are able to move your goods interstate to your new home under the WA Government definition of essential Freight & Logistics services.
- Other options available are local branch pick up from your home then onto interstate rail and then local branch drop off to your new home in Western Australia (without need for Interstate truck drivers). Call us for details regarding this option.
- New WA regional travel restrictions look to be relaxed now for intrastate travel
- It is recommended to carry your lease or new residence documentation with you.
- Local moves within regions are still allowed & abide by State social distancing rules during move
- View WA Gov Website information here
MOVING TO NORTHERN TERRITORY / FIND DARWIN REMOVALISTS (confirmed by NT Gov 16 July 12.23pm):
- Update: from 11.59pm 1st April all non essential interstate travellers & returning residents MUST spend 14 days forced quarantine (at own cost after 3rd April) in accommodation options upon entry (please see NT Gov Site for confirmation of accommodation options - approximate cost around $2,500). Current interstate arrivals are still requiring 14 days self isolation upon entry up until 17th July.
- NT Arrival Forms will be required for people arriving into the state & available at the Borders until July 31st
- From the 17th July - interstate travellers will NOT need to self quarantine unless you have passed through a designated hotspot within the last 14 days. If you have passed through a hot spot - and are approved to enter - you will need to do compulsory supervised self quarantine at your own costs. Please see important information about mandatory quarantine, costs and locations here
- Please use this pre fill in this NT border pass for anyone moving to NT after the 17th July
- Removalists ARE exempt from requiring 14 days self isolation and ARE able to move your goods interstate to your new home under the NT Government definition of essential Freight & Logistics services.
- Call the Muval team to work with you to find Removalists with storage options, or, to time delivery until after quarantine, or, to help find best timing for someone you designate to be at your NT residence for delivery.
- Local moves abide by Territory social distancing rules during move
- View NT border restriction information here
MOVING TO TASMANIA / FIND HOBART REMOVALISTS (confirmed by TAS Gov 16 July):
- Tasmanian Arrival Forms are required for people arriving into the state prior to arrival and are available also upon arrival but may take longer to process.
Eligible Tasmanian residents or people moving to Tasmania for permanent residency must complete 14 days of self quarantine at their residence in Tasmania provided that they:
- are able to provide evidence of residency;
- are not symptomatic of COVID-19;
- have not spent time in Victoria in the 14 days prior to arrival in Tasmania; and
- have not been overseas within 14 days of travelling to Tasmania, or disembarked from a cruise ship within 14 days of travelling to Tasmania.
- If arriving from a designated hot spot - Ie - Victoria - you MUST spend 14 days forced quarantine in Government provided accommodation at your own cost.
- Call the Muval team to work with you to find Removalists with storage options, or, to time delivery until after quarantine, or, to help find best timing for someone you designate to be at your TAS residence for delivery.
- Removalists ARE exempt from requiring 14 days self isolation and ARE able to move your goods interstate to your new home under the Tasmania Government definition of essential Freight & Logistics services.
- Local moves abide by State social distancing rules during move
- View TAS border restriction information here
- No current border entry self isolation restrictions in place
- Removalists are able to deliver your goods
- Local moves abide by Territory social distancing rules during move
- View ACT Gov Website information here
What happened during Stage 4 Lockdown Measures around the world?
Based on other countries, moving may need to be postponed
Countries such as New Zealand and the UK have enacted 2-to-4 week blanket STAGE 4 laws to totally restrict travel and movement in order to contain the spread of COVID-19. It has been advised that moving house in New Zealand and the UK is not permitted and people should be temporarily pausing and postponing any activities that would create a need to move house.
What effect will relaxed Coronavirus restrictions have on moving house:
As governments start to discuss lifting some restrictions, we anticipate there will be a back log of move requests coming in Oct - Feb. If you need to move during this tim, we have options to book with flexibility in advance to secure your spot if restrictions in certain areas are received. We are already seeing booking requests as far in advance as January 2021.
With limited availability of airline seats, there are also timing and cost issues to consider for flying between states as part of your move.
We're Here to Help Make Your Move Easier:
We realise it’s a tough time for many customers where moves may not have been part of the plan and hope that regardless your next move brings a positive future, plus a productive 2 weeks unpacking & settling in where self isloation restrictions are in place.
Our platform aims to provide you through our large network of Removalist providers a great deal and your desired dates / availability. If there is anything our experienced customer success team can do to help sort your move on the phone or you have any further questions, please contact us on 1300 168 825.
You can also access instant pricing / quotes & for available Removalists online (any unassisted online bookings will be double checked by our team to ensure there are no restriction issues before acceptance of job from Removalists).
Disclaimer: This information is changing regularly and is subject to change without notice. No information presented here provides any guarantee that your move will still go ahead as planned. Please also be aware there are fines that may be payable for breaching strict quarantine guidelines set by each relevant State and it's important to be familiar with those regulations to be able to comply. To support best practice, we are working with our many Removalist partners to take each move / quote request case by case to give as much certainty as possible to your move as required. Please call us if you have any questions: 1300 168 825.