We are working with our many moving partners across Australia to take each move / quote request case by case to give certainty as required. Please call us if you have any questions, otherwise you are able to book online as usual. Please check our disclaimer at the bottom of this page as this info is only a summary and may not be up to date. Your chosen removalist can work with you to confirm any final pick up / delivery times pending which state or location you are moving to.
If moving house
is not absolutely essential for you, we strongly recommend—particularly in areas that have been classified as COVID-19 "hotspots"—that you reconsider your need to move to help keep the spread of COVID-19 to a minimum.
Frequently Asked Moving House & Coronavirus / COVID-19 Questions
Although there have been recent changes to border controls, Removalists are considered an 'essential service' under freight & logistics definitions by each State Government and are able to move your goods.
Currently, yes (Most states require case by case exemption to be approved. View the state by state breakdown below and links to exemption / border pass application websites)
Currently, Removalists as an essential logistics service are able to move your goods either locally or interstate in Australia. If you are moving from Melbourne Hot Spots please review the latest info & links in the state by state breakdown below. We strongly promote through our partners safe moving practices with increased hygiene and social distancing wherever possible. We also ask that if you have, are showing symptoms of, or have been in contact with anyone with COVID-19 that you let the Removalist know in advance so they can best support your move / move timing safely after any relevant quarantine measures.
Currently, yes with proof of residence, approved exemption & approved border passes.
Some Australian State Governments have begun to restrict entry for certain states or are mandating differing levels of quarantine / self isolation. Most states have a border pass system that will determine whether you will be allowed to travel to that location. See below for state by state breakdown.
We are working with Removalists on the Muval platform to ensure as much flexibility as possible to help book knowing that if sudden changes happen there will be options for postponing moves or refunding or crediting deposits where possible. Many of our Removalist partners have a high level of capacity to ensure move dates being rescheduled cause minimal disruption, or otherwise these can be easily transferred to other movers on our platform without needing to take down all of your details again.
You may need to organise car transport and or pet transport / pet accommodation when if entry to a state is allowed via air only.
For moving cars, there is typically a delay between pick up and delivery of 10 days with options for holding cars for another 3 - 4 days to align with minimum quarantine timings. For transporting pets, we recommend using a service that has comfortable pet accommodation at either end of the trip included as part of the pet transport costs. Muval can help organise quotes for your car and pet transport through trusted suppliers to align with your approved move as needed. Enter your move details online or call 1300 168 825 for more details.
Many interstate moves booked on Muval are done via rail, which means local removalist branches are handling your goods without the need to utilise interstate drivers. Our team will look for these options for you if required. Some rail pick up and delivery times are being delayed by a few days due to recent increased demand, we are also seeing increased traffic at Border control areas. So, please, book in as early as possible to get your preferred dates & note your Removalist may experience unforseen traffic delays out of their direct control.
We have compiled the following information from a range of publically available government websites, and from individual confirmation on certain understandings directly from some government agencies.
Sydney & New South Wales (NSW) updated / reviewed 18 Sep
- This information is changing regularly and we recommend always double checking the NSW gov websites for latest information before moving house.
- Latest round of tigher restrictions show - YES - Moving house IS a permitted reason you can leave the house & you can move house with restrictions as noted below
Permit system will be implemented to enter regional NSW / leave the greater Sydney area from 12.01am, Saturday, 21 August including for the reasons listed directly below and will be available on the Service NSW website:
- inspecting real estate. Any person inspecting real estate in the regions must now genuinely need a home to live in (no investment properties); and
- travelling to your second home. This is now only allowed if you are using the home for work accommodation or if the home requires urgent maintenance and repairs (if so, only one person may travel there).
- It may be recommended to request a permit if looking to leave greater Sydney as well as getting the exemption / pass to go to a different state
- Otherwise, it is currently stated that you are allowed to leave your house for the reason to "move house or between your residences" for both Greater Sydney / NSW and is also permitted for the LGA's of concern.
- Recent updates as of the 18th September 2021 are showing Removalists ARE now not restricted as an Authorised Worker and are allowed to leave their local LGA for work in transport and logistic work using the travel registration system. More detailed Q&A inline with the NSW Gov website is as below:
Q: Can people move house (for legitmate purposes - end of lease / emergency / settlement) in NSW?
A: Yes - they must have official residence information on them (this is to show any authorities who may ask why they have left their house) and will also need the permit if moving regionally as above.
Q: What about people in local government areas of concern (view the map) including:
- Georges River
- Penrith for the following suburbs: Caddens, Claremont Meadows, Colyton, Erskine Park, Kemps Creek, Kingswood, Mount Vernon, North St Marys, Orchard Hills, Oxley Park, St Clair and St Marys.
A: Yes - they can move either in, out or within any LGA within Greater Sydney and will require a permit to move outside of Greater Sydney
Q: Can Removalists help me to move?
A: Yes but with conditions as below:
Any removalist worker who resides IN or who will be travelling to any of the restricted / affected areas as stated above - must have a valid travel registration.
Muval can help find and book available Sydney Removalists from our vetted panel depending on where you are moving from and to.
- If moving from Sydney / NSW to other states, please review the state by state information relative to your move below for restrictions and requirements.
- No other current interstate border restrictions in place as of 26/05/2021 (unless from international), we are continuing to see moves completed for customers moving from other states to NSW.
- It is mandatory that you carry your NSW proof of residence if moving from any location inline with the reasonable excuse rules.
- Local moves must abide by State social distancing / Public Health Order rules during move
- Please review what you can & can't do in relation to NSW COVID rules for your house move
- View NSW Gov Website information here
Melbourne & Victoria (VIC) Updated / reviewed 18 Sep
- Current Melbourne local lockdown & regional lockdown restrictions show you CAN move house and Removalists ARE permitted to assist but outside of your home family and friends are not.
- Muval can help to find, compare and book available local Melbourne Removalists.
- Victorian residents travelling from red zones / extreme risk zones will require an exemption to enter the state – and these will only be granted in exceptional circumstances.
- The Muval team can help with finding dates available and temporary storage options across a range of Removalists beyond the current proposed lockdown periods.
- Border permits or exemptions are now required for ANY people moving to Victoria / residents of Victoria.
- If travelling from Orange Zone areas - you must self isolate until you receive a negative test result after arriving.
- If travelling from a Red Zone area as a resident of Victoria you will need to get an approved travel permit.
- The VIC Gov website states: If you are a Victorian resident and have been in a red zone since current red zones came into effect, other than for transit, and you are able to obtain a permit / exemption to enter Victoria but you must travel directly home and quarantine for 14 days. You must get tested within 72 hours of arrival and again on or around day 13 of quarantine.
- It is recommended to carry your new home proof of residence documentation with you if moving house
- If you are moving interstate - you'll find the relevant border passes / exemption requests that are required in the relevant state by state information below.
- View VIC Gov Website information here
Brisbane & Queensland (QLD) updated on 18 Sep
- Currently - Hot spot update pages on the QLD government website in relation to the current lock downs highlights you ARE allowed to move to QLD as a permanent resident or someone moving to live permanantly in QLD from a hotspot area and you will require an approved border pass and complete the necessary Government mandated quaratine.
- Exempted visitors or people moving from or who have been in restricted locations must adhere the quarantine instructions on the QLD gov website which will mean - 14 days Government mandated hotel quarantine at your own cost will be required.
- General costs for QLD Hotel Quarantine are for payment 30 days from invoice date inline with the following schedule:
- 1 Adult / 1 Room = $3,220
- 2 Adults / 1 Room = $4,130
- 2 adults and 2 children (1 room) = $5,040
(fee calculated on 2 adults and 2 children aged 3 years or older and under 13 years)
- Further costs for different combinations of people, children & rooms is listed here
- All visitors and returning / new residents to QLD from any state of territory will now require the relevant border pass or travel declaration.
- Removalists ARE exempt from requiring 14 days self isolation and are able to move your goods interstate and locally to your new home under the QLD Government definition of essential Freight & Logistics services.
- For Freight & Transport workers (including Removalists) from other states & areas of concern, crossing the border is permitted when abiding strictly by recent updates in protocols, or for residents of QLD / NSW Border Zones who need to cross the border in order to start their shift.
- Other options available are local branch pick up from your home then onto interstate rail and then local branch drop off to your new home in Queensland (without need for Interstate truck drivers). Call us for details regarding this option.
- We recommend also carrying your QLD residency documentation when moving house from any state or within Queensland
- If possible, the recommendation from the QLD Government is to stay at your current residence unless it is essential that you need to leave.
- View QLD Gov Website information here
Adelaide & South Australia (SA) updated on 18 Sep
- Latest updates show; Depending on which state you are moving from you are ONLY allowed to move to SA with permit or exemption (exemption will be required during current lock down with specific prohibitions even for returning SA residents coming from NSW, ACT, VIC & Greater Brisbane), and / or for other essential reasons.
- We recommend requesting an exemption before booking a move only if it is truly necessary or otherwise, working with Muval to find suitable future date options / temporary storage as required for your goods.
- Regardless of restriction - All people wishing to enter SA now need to fill in a SA border pass prior to arrival (best option is to do 14 days in advance)
- 14 day self isolation effective immediately upon entry and to be enforced by Border Control if arriving from a designated hotspot, plus other testing and restriction as per SA gov website directions.
- If visited a close contact zone in designated times - entry to SA may not be permitted - some exemptions do apply.
- Other options available are local branch pick up from your home then onto interstate rail and then local branch drop off to your new home in South Australia (without need for Interstate truck drivers). Call us for details regarding this option.
- View SA gov general information here
updated on 18 Sep
Perth & Western Australia (WA)
- Removalists, regardless of exemption of person moving, ARE exempt from requiring 14 days self isolation and are able to move your goods interstate to your new home under the WA Government definition of essential Freight & Logistics services.
- Other options available are local branch pick up from your home then onto interstate rail and then local branch drop off to your new home in Western Australia (without need for Interstate truck drivers). Call us for details regarding this option.
- It is recommended to carry your lease or new residence documentation with you.
- View WA Gov Website information here
Darwin & Northern Territory (NT) Updated 18 Sep
- Darwin region lockdown shows that you can move house (either locally or in or out of a lockdown area) for a number of reasons.
- We suggest reviewing the conditions to best understand which situation will be apply to you.
- Update: from 11.59pm 1st April all non essential interstate travellers & returning residents MUST spend 14 days forced quarantine (at own cost after 3rd April) in accommodation options upon entry (please see NT Gov Site for confirmation of accommodation options - approximate cost around $2,500) ONLY if they have been in or through a declared hot spot within the last 14 days.
- NT Arrival Forms will be required for people arriving into the territory.
- From the 17th July - interstate travellers will NOT need to self quarantine unless you have passed through a designated hotspot within the last 14 days. If you have passed through a hot spot - and are approved to enter - you will need to do compulsory supervised self quarantine at your own costs. Please see important information about mandatory quarantine, costs and locations here
- Please use this pre fill in this NT border pass for anyone moving to NT after the 17th July
- Removalists ARE exempt from requiring 14 days self isolation and ARE able to move your goods interstate to your new home under the NT Government definition of essential Freight & Logistics services.
- Call the Muval team to work with you to find Removalists with storage options, or, to time delivery until after quarantine, or, to help find best timing for someone you designate to be at your NT residence for delivery.
- Local moves please abide by current restrictions in place.
- It is always recommended to carry your residence information with you
- View NT border restriction information here
Hobart & Tasmania (TAS) confirmed on 18 Sep
- Tasmanian Arrival Forms are required for people arriving into the state prior to arrival and are available also upon arrival but may take longer to process
- Rules for entering Tasmania have recently changed - and you can move to Tasmania from low, medium and high risk areas pending certain quarantine standards and passes are approved:
- Tasmania’s new traveller system ‘Tas e-Travel’ is now accepting registrations for travel from low-risk areas under eased border restrictions from Monday 26 October WITHOUT the need to self quarantine. To register your travel or move please use Tas e-Travel pass for low risk areas
- If moving from a medium or high risk area - for approval - you will need to use the G2G Pass / Arrival Form
- If being approved to travel from a high risk or restricted area - you may need to complete 14 days Quarantine at your own cost in a Government mandated accommodation.
- Call the Muval team to work with you to find Removalists with storage options, or, to time delivery until after quarantine, or, to help find best timing for someone you designate to be at your TAS residence for delivery.
- Removalists ARE exempt from requiring 14 days self isolation and ARE able to move your goods interstate to your new home under the Tasmania Government definition of essential Freight & Logistics services.
- Local moves abide by State social distancing rules during move
- View TAS border restriction information here
Canberra & Australian Capital Territory (ACT)
confirmed on 18 Sep
We're Here to Help Make Your Move Easier
We realise it’s a tough time for many customers where moves may not have been part of the plan and hope that regardless your next move brings a positive future, plus a productive 2 weeks unpacking & settling in where self isloation restrictions are in place.
Our platform aims to provide you through our large network of Removalist providers a great deal and your desired dates / availability. If there is anything our experienced customer success team can do to help sort your move on the phone or you have any further questions, please contact us on 1300 168 825.
You can also access instant pricing / quotes & for available Removalists online (any unassisted online bookings will be double checked by our team to ensure there are no restriction issues before acceptance of job from Removalists).
Disclaimer: This information is changing regularly and is subject to change without notice. No information presented here provides any guarantee that your move will still go ahead as planned. Please also be aware there are fines that may be payable for breaching strict quarantine guidelines set by each relevant State and it's important to be familiar with those regulations to be able to comply. To support best practice, we are working with our many Removalist partners to take each move / quote request case by case to give as much certainty as possible to your move as required. If you are in a high-risk area and you do not NEED to move, we strongly recommend postponing to restrict any potential spread of the virus. Please call us if you have any questions: 1300 168 825.