We are working with our many moving partners across Australia to take each move / quote request case by case to give certainty as required. Please call us if you have any questions, otherwise you are able to book online as usual. Please check our disclaimer at the bottom of this page as this info is only a summary and may not be up to date. Your chosen removalist can work with you to confirm any final pick up / delivery times pending which state or location you are moving to. If you do not NEED to move, we recommend postponing to restrict any potential spread of the virus, but, if you need to move - we hope this summary of information is helpful for your next move either DIY or through the Muval booking platform.
Are Removalists Essential Services?
Although there have been recent changes to border controls, Removalists are considered an 'essential service' under freight & logistics definitions by each State Government and are able to move your goods.
Currently, yes (Most states require case by case exemption to be approved. View the state by state breakdown below and links to exemption / border pass application websites)
Currently, Removalists as an essential logistics service are able to move your goods either locally or interstate in Australia. If you are moving to WA, please review the latest info & links in the state by state breakdown below. We strongly promote through our partners safe moving practices with increased hygiene and social distancing wherever possible. We also ask that if you have, are showing symptoms of, or have been in contact with anyone with COVID-19 that you let the Removalist know in advance so they can best support your move / move timing safely after any relevant quarantine measures.
Can you still move house during lockdown in Melbourne / Victoria?
Currently, yes - see Stay At Home Directions notice below
The latest information as per the Victorian Government Health Directions as of 2nd of August at 8pm is showing a number of exemptions in section 10 allowing people to move to their new permanent residence locally, interstate or internationally where their current residence is no longer available locally (ie - due to sale or lease end etc) and where relevant have the approved border passes to do so. Please review the stay at home health directions information on the VIC GOV Website in detail as there are a number of considerations to ensure you would be exempted and are following government rules for your specific situation. We will be working with our current Melbourne / Victorian removalists partners to ensure they have appropriate COVID Safe Plans inline with Government requirements for their work environments. Please see more details below in our state by state breakdown.
Can I Move House Interstate During QLD, VIC, NSW, SA, WA Border Restrictions & Lockdowns?
Currently, yes with proof of residence, approved exemption & approved border passes.
Some Australian State Governments have begun to restrict entry for certain states or are mandating differing levels of quarantine / self isolation. Most states have a border pass system that will determine whether you will be allowed to travel to that location. See below for state by state breakdown.
We are working with Removalists on the Muval platform to ensure as much flexibility as possible to help book knowing that if sudden changes happen there will be options for postponing moves or refunding or crediting deposits where possible. Many of our Removalist partners have a high level of capacity to ensure move dates being rescheduled cause minimal disruption, or otherwise these can be easily transferred to other movers on our platform without needing to take down all of your details again.
Interstate car transport or pet transport during COVID restrictions
You may need to organise car transport and or pet transport / pet accommodation when if entry to a state is allowed via air only.
For moving cars, there is typically a delay between pick up and delivery of 10 days with options for holding cars for another 3 - 4 days to align with minimum quarantine timings. For transporting pets, we recommend using a service that has comfortable pet accommodation at either end of the trip included as part of the pet transport costs. Muval can help organise quotes for your car and pet transport through trusted suppliers o align with your approved move as needed. Enter your move details online or call 1300 168 825 for more details.
Key Information for Moving House During Coronavirus:
We have compiled the information from a range of publically available government websites, and from individual confirmation on certain understandings directly from some government agencies.
Please note: Many interstate moves booked on Muval are done via rail, which means local Removalist branches are handling your goods without the need to utilise interstate drivers. Our team will look for these options for you if required. Some rail pick up and delivery times are being delayed by a few days due to recent increased demand, we are also seeing increased traffic at Border control areas. So, please, book in as early as possible to get your preferred dates & note your Removalist may experience unforseen traffic delays out of their direct control.
COVID-19 Essential Removalist Services - State-by-state Overview
MOVING TO NEW SOUTH WALES / MOVING WITHIN SYDNEY - FIND SYDNEY REMOVALISTS (confirmed by NSW Gov 20th December):
- YES - you are allowed to leave your house for the reason to "move house or between your residences"
- No current interstate border restrictions in place as of 13/12/2020 (unless from international)
- Special conditions will be allowed for freight services / crititcal requirements.
- It is recommended that your carry your NSW proof of residence if moving from any location.
- Removalists are able to deliver your goods interstate & locally
- Local moves must abide by State social distancing / Public Health Order stage 3 lockdown rules during move
- Please review what you can & can't do in relation to NSW COVID rules for your house move
- View NSW Gov Website information here
MOVING TO VICTORIA / INFO ABOUT LOCAL OR OUTBOUND MELBOURNE REMOVALISTS (confirmed on VIC Gov site 01 January)
- Border permits or exemptions are now required for people moving to Victoria.
- For people moving from NSW - you will need to apply for a permit and may need to spend 14 days in Government mandated accommodation as well as getting a COVID test on arrival. We suggest organising an approved permit before booking your move or otherwise ensuring there is someone to receive your goods in Victoria if you are unable to get a permit. There are multiple storage options that many of our removalists can help with as part of your move.
- It has not been made clear on the VIC gov site for whether returning VIC residents OR people moving to VIC whether or not border pemits will be approved if moving from NSW.
- No current interstate border entry self isolation restrictions in place when travelling to Victoria unless from designated Red Zone areas.
- Removalists ARE able to deliver your goods interstate & locally as an essential service
- It is recommended to carry your new home proof of residence documentation with you if moving house
- If you are moving interstate - you'll find the relevant border passes / exemption requests that are required in the relevant state by state information here if available.
- View VIC Gov Website information here
MOVING TO QUEENSLAND / FIND BRISBANE REMOVALISTS / BRISBANE 3 Day Lockdown Moving Information (Latest Update 9 January 2021 12:48pm):
- Removalists ARE exempt from requiring 14 days self isolation and are able to move your goods interstate AND LOCALLY to your new home under the QLD Government definition of essential Freight & Logistics services.
- In relation to the 3 day greater Brisbane lockdown:
- Yes - you are allowed to move house during the Brisbane 3 day lockdown both in and out of greater Brisbane as long as you follow the relevant stay at home orders (see QLD Gov website excerpt below as at 12:52pm 9/1/21):
- Can I move houses during the Greater Brisbane lockdown period? Can I move houses into/outside the Greater Brisbane lockdown area?
- Yes. You may move to a new residence during the lockdown period. If you move into an impacted area, you must comply with the lockdown restrictions. This means only leaving your residence for a permitted purpose such as work, essential shopping and exercise and wearing a mask when out of your home.
If you leave an impacted area to move to a house located outside the impacted area, you must continue to observe the same lockdown rules such as only leaving the home for permitted purposes and wearing a mask when you leave your residence.
- We recommend contacting QLD Government if you are unsure about your obligations under the current greater Brisbane estrictions until further updates on their website.
- You can search and compare quality local Brisbane Removalists here who may be available to complete your move as an essential service in case you are no longer able to utilise outside friends / contacts to help move.
- Northern Beaches LGA and now the greater Sydney area has been declared a hot spot - view latest information related to moving from this area
- The QLD government website highlights you ARE allowed to move to QLD as a permanent resident from a hotspot area and you will require an approved border pass.
- Exempted visitors or people moving from or who have been in these locations must adhere to 14 day quarantine, mandatory hotel quarnantine restrictions.
- Outside of this area - QLD Government states that there are no restricted COVID Hotspots in Australia
- If you are not from a hot spot area you are free to enter QLD from any state of territory
- Other options available are local branch pick up from your home then onto interstate rail and then local branch drop off to your new home in Queensland (without need for Interstate truck drivers). Call us for details regarding this option.
- Local moves abide by State social distancing rules during move
- View QLD Gov Website information here
- View QLD Gov 3 Day Greater Brisbane Lockdown Information Here
MOVING TO OR WITHIN SOUTH AUSTRALIA / FIND ADELAIDE REMOVALISTS (confirmed by SA Gov Site 15/12/2020:
- Current advice on the SA gov website updated Circuit Breaker Restrictions page is showing that essential freight is allowed (removalist services have been previously included as essential freight)
- It also shows leaving your house is okay for a number of reasons during the current lock down timing including:
- "If they do not have a home to reside, if it is unavailable or if the person is at risk of harm if they were to stay"
- In the above instance, it is directed that moving to your place of residence is done in the quickest and most direct / practicable route possible.
- The latest Detailed SA Health Directions are listed here.
- All people wishing to enter SA now need to fill in a SA border pass prior to arrival (best option is to do 14 days in advance)
- If moving to SA from Victoria or hot spot as directed by SA government - you will also need to undergo a compulsory COVID-19 test (these rules are chaging as of the 1st of December - updates to come)
- 14 day self isolation effective immediately upon entry and to be enforced by Border Control from 4pm Tuesday 24th March UNLESS arriving directly from selected NSW, NT, WA, TAS or QLD.
- From 12:01am Wednesday 29 July 2020, SA Gov website now showing - South Australian residents will no longer be able to return or potentially move to South Australia from Victoria. Only essential travellers will be able to enter South Australia from Victoria. Best option if needing to move is request exemption via the border pass / exemption links above.
- Removalists ARE exempt from requiring 14 days self isolation and are able to move your goods interstate to your new home under the SA Government definition of essential Freight & Logistics services.
- Other options available are local branch pick up from your home then onto interstate rail and then local branch drop off to your new home in South Australia (without need for Interstate truck drivers). Call us for details regarding this option.
- Local moves abide by State social distancing rules during move
- View SA gov general information here
MOVING TO WESTERN AUSTRALIA / FIND PERTH REMOVALISTS: (confirmed on WA Gov site 1 Jan)
- Moving from NSW & VIC is now considered medium risk and requires a special exemption via the GTG pass system to be able to move to WA. You will also need to self quarantine for 14 days at a suitable premises. You will also be required to get a COVID-19 test within 48 hours of arrival and on day 11 of quarantine. You will also be required to wear a mask while transporting to your self quarantine premises. If you are unable to stay in a suitable premises - you will be required to stay at a government directed location at your own expense for the quarantine period.
- If for some reason you believe you need a special exemption to not do 14 days quarantine you can request, special exemption
- An exemption request can take up to 48 hours to be processed without guarantee of approval.
- Removalists, regardless of exemption of person moving, ARE exempt from requiring 14 days self isolation and are able to move your goods interstate to your new home under the WA Government definition of essential Freight & Logistics services.
- Other options available are local branch pick up from your home then onto interstate rail and then local branch drop off to your new home in Western Australia (without need for Interstate truck drivers). Call us for details regarding this option.
- New WA regional travel restrictions look to be relaxed now for intrastate travel
- It is recommended to carry your lease or new residence documentation with you.
- Local moves within regions are still allowed & abide by State social distancing rules during move
- View WA Gov Website information here
MOVING TO NORTHERN TERRITORY / FIND DARWIN REMOVALISTS (confirmed on NT Gov site `1 Nov):
- Update: from 11.59pm 1st April all non essential interstate travellers & returning residents MUST spend 14 days forced quarantine (at own cost after 3rd April) in accommodation options upon entry (please see NT Gov Site for confirmation of accommodation options - approximate cost around $2,500) ONLY if they have been in or through a declared hot spot within the last 14 days.
- NT Arrival Forms will be required for people arriving into the territory.
- From the 17th July - interstate travellers will NOT need to self quarantine unless you have passed through a designated hotspot within the last 14 days. If you have passed through a hot spot - and are approved to enter - you will need to do compulsory supervised self quarantine at your own costs. Please see important information about mandatory quarantine, costs and locations here
- Please use this pre fill in this NT border pass for anyone moving to NT after the 17th July
- Removalists ARE exempt from requiring 14 days self isolation and ARE able to move your goods interstate to your new home under the NT Government definition of essential Freight & Logistics services.
- Call the Muval team to work with you to find Removalists with storage options, or, to time delivery until after quarantine, or, to help find best timing for someone you designate to be at your NT residence for delivery.
- Local moves abide by Territory social distancing rules during move
- View NT border restriction information here
MOVING TO TASMANIA / FIND HOBART REMOVALISTS (confirmed on TAS Gov site 1 Nov):
- Tasmanian Arrival Forms are required for people arriving into the state prior to arrival and are available also upon arrival but may take longer to process
- Rules for entering Tasmania have recently changed - and you can move to Tasmania from low, medium and high risk areas pending certain quarantine standards and passes are approved:
- Tasmania’s new traveller system ‘Tas e-Travel’ is now accepting registrations for travel from low-risk areas (ACT, NT, QLD, WA, & NZ) under eased border restrictions from Monday 26 October WITHOUT the need to self quarantine. To register your travel or move please use Tas e-Travel pass for low risk areas
- Subject to Public Health advice, NSW will be classified as a low-risk area from Friday 6 November 2020. People intending to travel from NSW from this date can submit their registration a maximum of three (3) days before arrival in Tasmania. If from NSW - you will need to self quarantine at your intended residence. If moving from a Medium or higher risk area - currently SA, VIC - you will need to have a pass approved and do either suitable self quarantine or supervised government mandated quarantine where fee's may apply
- If moving from a medium or high risk area - for approval - you will need to use the G2G Pass / Arrival Form
- Call the Muval team to work with you to find Removalists with storage options, or, to time delivery until after quarantine, or, to help find best timing for someone you designate to be at your TAS residence for delivery.
- Removalists ARE exempt from requiring 14 days self isolation and ARE able to move your goods interstate to your new home under the Tasmania Government definition of essential Freight & Logistics services.
- Local moves abide by State social distancing rules during move
- View TAS border restriction information here
- No current border entry self isolation restrictions in place
- Removalists are able to deliver your goods
- Local moves abide by Territory social distancing rules during move
- View ACT Gov Website information here
What happened during Stage 4 Lockdown Measures around the world?
Based on other countries, moving may need to be postponed
Countries such as New Zealand and the UK have enacted 2-to-4 week blanket STAGE 4 laws to totally restrict travel and movement in order to contain the spread of COVID-19. It has been advised that moving house in New Zealand and the UK is not permitted and people should be temporarily pausing and postponing any activities that would create a need to move house.
What effect will relaxed Coronavirus restrictions have on moving house:
As governments start to discuss lifting some restrictions, we anticipate there will be a back log of move requests coming in Oct - Feb. If you need to move during this tim, we have options to book with flexibility in advance to secure your spot if restrictions in certain areas are received. We are already seeing booking requests as far in advance as January 2021.
With limited availability of airline seats, there are also timing and cost issues to consider for flying between states as part of your move.
We're Here to Help Make Your Move Easier:
We realise it’s a tough time for many customers where moves may not have been part of the plan and hope that regardless your next move brings a positive future, plus a productive 2 weeks unpacking & settling in where self isloation restrictions are in place.
Our platform aims to provide you through our large network of Removalist providers a great deal and your desired dates / availability. If there is anything our experienced customer success team can do to help sort your move on the phone or you have any further questions, please contact us on 1300 168 825.
You can also access instant pricing / quotes & for available Removalists online (any unassisted online bookings will be double checked by our team to ensure there are no restriction issues before acceptance of job from Removalists).
Disclaimer: This information is changing regularly and is subject to change without notice. No information presented here provides any guarantee that your move will still go ahead as planned. Please also be aware there are fines that may be payable for breaching strict quarantine guidelines set by each relevant State and it's important to be familiar with those regulations to be able to comply. To support best practice, we are working with our many Removalist partners to take each move / quote request case by case to give as much certainty as possible to your move as required. Please call us if you have any questions: 1300 168 825.