End of Lease Preparation Tips in Brisbane
When it comes time to move house it can be daunting getting everything done. In addition, when you leave your rental home it’s your responsibility to restore your home to the way you had it upon arrival.
It's important to check your state by state guidelines. For example in QLD - The RTA has strict obligations for tenants which are reinforced by Property Managers.
Here is a standard checklist with some tips to make the moving process goes as smoothly as possible:
- Firstly, if you’ve been renting a house with a yard, you’ll need to take care of the lawn and make sure your garden is up to scratch. This includes mowing the lawn, weeding, pruning the bushes back and removing any green waste or rubbish.
- If you’ve had pets during your stay many rental agreements state that you should have a professional pest control service completed. This is to ensure the property is free of fleas for the next tenant.
- It’s a smart idea to book in a reliable furniture removalist service as soon as possible. If you need assistance with packing then there are pre-packing services available to assist you.
- The property will need to be professionally cleaned to restore it to the same condition upon your arrival. This is commonly known as a bond clean. Unless you have the time and some experience it’s best to have professional bond cleaners take care of your bond clean for you.
- If the property has carpet you’ll need to have it professionally cleaned. NOTE: If there are any stains or other damages in the carpet you will also need to ensure these are fixed. This is in addition to cleaning the carpet.
- If you’ve made any damages during your stay this will be your responsibility to repair these before finalising your tenancy. This includes dings, scratches and gouges in the walls. In addition, another commonly overlooked task is removing picture hooks that have been put up during your tenancy. If there are several on one wall then it may be necessary for the entire wall to be repainted.
Some people find the rigorous standards of these requirements onerous. However, it’s because of these high standards that Australian homes are so great compared to international standards. Overall, this makes it a great thing for all of us. To make it easier to organise all the little things, look for one stop shop style property maintainence companies such as Liberty Services that will work with you to take care of all these tasks when it comes time to vacate your rental.
Share this page on Facebook
Moving house starts here
View pricing, read reviews and book professional interstate and local removalists online.